Monday, 6 February 2012

Not Just a Cake Maker

After a long time of not blogging, my first decent post for this year is about bread.  LOL.  Well, I can't help myself.  This is truly an achievement for me. :)

I have always believed that one cannot be called a certified baker if he or she is not able to make breads (this is just my perception though).  And so, I challenged myself into baking 'ensaymada' from a random food magazine I bought.

I have baked a lot of cakes, cupcakes, brownies and other desserts but I have always wondered how bread is made and I haven't used yeast ever.  So, I was pretty curious.  I asked manang to buy me P5 worth of yeast and I grabbed the ingredients stored in my cupboard.  I mixed and I kneaded with all my strength and here are the end products of my effort :)



Sorry bout the not so clear pics.  I was too lazy to get the camera so I used the iPad 2 instead.  I even shared these pics on Instagram.  Yes, I am proud of this achievement.  I am not just a cake maker.  Woohoo!

Well, it was not easy at all.  This set of bread isn't even perfect but my family liked it (they will always be my loyal supporters). :-*

Anyway, I just wanted to share this new experience and I KNEADED to get the excitement out of my chest. (did you get the joke right there?) LOL.

P.S.  
I also learned how to check if yeast is active.  Here's what you have to do:
  1.  In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup warm (110-115 F) tap water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 2   
       teaspoons yeast.
  2.  Stir and allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
  3.  If the mixture foams and bubbles form, then the yeast is active.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment